Liddaton Halt was a tiny railway station opened on 4th April 1938 by the Great Western Railway on the Launceston and South Devon branch line. It was to serve the hamlet of Liddaton and opened much later than most other stations on the railway line from Plymouth to Launceston, which had started operating in 1865.
The single platform was a wooden structure with a small wooden passenger shelter, originally lit by a single oil lamp. There was a single platform name board. A bridge carrying the lane from Liddaton to Coryton over the line was situated at the Tavistock end of the platform and still exists today near Broad Park. The railway was a single track with no passing loops or sidings.
This photograph was probably taken in the 1950s from the bridge.
From 1st May 1953, on weekdays and Sundays, ‘where train service permits‘, cheap day return tickets, first and third class, were available:
To Launceston or Tavistock South station cost 3/6d (17.5p) first class, 2/3d (11p) third class.
To Plymouth North Road Station cost 8/9d (43p) first class, 5/9d (28p) third class.
The Halt was closed to passengers on 31st December 1962.
This photograph is one of several recently sent to the editor by Sue Swanborough and will be added to the Brentor Living Archive collection.