The directory at www.westdevon.gov.uk/support-directory provides essential information and contact details for a wide range of support available across the borough from the Council and other groups.
- details on how to apply for the Household Support Fund to get help with paying essential bills
- where to go for help if you have mobility needs, including applying for a blue badge or Personal Independence Payments
- support to pay for energy costs as well as help to improve the energy efficiency of your home to reduce fuel bills
- a list of places to go for financial and practical support for young people and families
- contacts for a wide range of other support available locally, including foodbanks, help for people feeling isolated, mental health support and where to go for money and debt advice.
Cllr Tony Leech, West Devon Borough Council Lead Member for Leisure, Health and Wellbeing said:
“As well as the range of support services we provide as a Council, we’re very lucky to have many excellent local support groups actively helping people of all ages across the borough. We recognised that it can sometimes be hard for people to know where to go for help. That’s why we’ve put together this directory as a one-stop shop to make sure local people can get the support they need.
The Household Support Fund is providing a lifeline to local people who can’t pay for essential bills. But there are lots of other ways we can also help. For example, we can arrange for adaptations to your home to help you to live independently. Our team are also here to support people threatened with homelessness or struggling to pay their rent and help to reduce energy costs. And by working closely with a number of other agencies that provide more specific support we can make sure you to get the help you need when you need it.”
Enhancing community wellbeing is a core theme of the Council’s long-term strategy to support local residents. By supporting voluntary sector and other partners and actively reducing health inequalities and rural poverty, the Council will make a positive impact on community wellbeing. The directory will be regularly updated to ensure local people can access support when needed.
The new Household Support Fund is designed to provide rapid short-term financial support for people who don’t have enough money to buy essentials like food or pay for heating. Anyone over 16 years old in West Devon could be eligible, but you will need to confirm that your need is genuine. These grants aim to help people to meet daily needs such as food, clothing and utility bills. Payments will be made directly into your bank account. Residents without a bank account should contact us”.
To apply for the Household Support Fund or to see what other help is available for local people, please go to www.westdevon.gov.uk/support-directory
You can also call 01822 813600 or speak to your local borough councillor.